FILM PROJECT: A DELIBERATE LIFE

Posted by | August 14, 2012 | The road | 33 Comments

We’re going back to Idaho.

By “we” I mean Grant Taylor and me, plus a few others. To say that last year’s trip was a profound experience for us would be a bit of an understatement. The 10 days we spent fly fishing across the southern half of the state (you can read all about them starting here) marked a significant shift in each of our lives, having both just started out on new career paths.

Idaho, and the people that shared their time, stories and home waters with us, helped us see that our lives and this world are larger and more far-reaching than the routines we had become too comfortable with. In the end, we found that we all share essentially the same story – of taking risk and following our passions. Living life deliberately.

So, with special thanks to our gracious hosts – Rebecca Garlock (Outdooress and Outdoor Blogger Network), Colby Hackbarth (Kast Extreme Fishing Gear) and Ross Slayton – we’re going back the first week in September and we’re shooting a film to capture those stories. And fish, of course.

Special thanks also to Matt White and Dustin Lutt – our other two partners in shooting the film.

I’m proud to present the initial statement of intent for the project – A Deliberate Life:

• Looking good Matt….real good!!!! Good look to all of you on your endeavor. I’m sure inspiration will come fast and hard out in the wilds of Idaho.

• AZWanderings says:

Fantastic video Matt and very inspiring. Certainly get’s the wheels in my head turning. I’m super jealous about your trip. Have fun.

Ben

• Quinn Grover says:

Very cool, Matt. I enjoyed your write-ups of the trip last year. If you are gonna be in Idaho Falls, then maybe I will see you around.

I appreciate the shout, Quinn. We will be in Idaho Falls for a couple of the nights. Drop me an email at matt (at) fishingpoet dot com with your cell. It’d be cool to meet up.

• LO FI says:

Great Title. Great Premise. Great take on this amazing sport and how for some of us it becomes an integral part of our lives….a key piece of fabric. Loved the shots and color correct. Really looking forward to seeing what comes out of your trip. This thing has heart.

Thanks, bro. I think the story is important – especially right now with so much of the industry and sport in flux. Looking forward to telling it.

• Mark Davis says:

I live in Boise. Let me know if you need any directions to people or places around this area.

• Thanks, Mark! I appreciate you offering. We’re pretty dialed-in on our locations, but if we decide to explore elsewhere I’ll be sure to give you a holler.
  • Brent says:

Matt,

Looks awesome so far. Idaho is a really amazing place and it’s great to see it from your perspective.

Feel free to shoot me an e-mail if you want to fish in the Idaho Falls/Island Park/Driggs area while you are here.

Brent

Hey, Brent. Thanks for the shout and offer! We’ll be on Henry’s Fork (Canyon stretch) our last couple days. Hiking down in. Hopefully camping too. I’ll keep you posted if plans change.

• Bjorn says:

I’d watch that. Deliberate is, I think, the same thing as one of my life rules of “Be intentional.”

Looks very well put together and I can’t wait to hear more about it. Say Hi to Rebecca for me.

• Maria Foerschler says:

Have you thought about putting a “Biblical” spin or some scripture to your pictures and writings? The end credits said the promo was filmed in KS. I can’t believe Grant Taylor didn’t give Kevin a shout.

Hey Maria. Thanks for the comment. I’m sure spirituality will be an inevitable part of the project and story.
      I’m also sure Grant’s not giving Kevin a shout was inadvertent. We were only there for 72 hours after all 🙂

• Sure wish that I could have joined you for my fave river… I am slated a couple weeks behind you. If we can pull Rebecca. away from those
    salmon, that is…haha.

Well there’s a film I actually want to see. I’ll be on the Snake Fri-Sun. I’ll send it your regards.

Then off to Yellowstone to hook into a grayling on Monday.

I pray the west has a similar effect on my like it had on you and Grant. Your posts from last years trip really motivated me to head west and check it out. I’ll have full reports soon.

Good luck, Pete! I’m sure you’ll be just as moved as we were. Just stop and breathe and look around a few times 🙂
      Looking forward to the report! Enjoy.

• Betsy says:

Okay, so this was much better to watch with sound. lol! Finally got all the kinks worked out on my computer. The four of you are so fortunate to be “living” your passion. There are not too many people in their lifetime that get to say that. Thanks for always reminding me of what I am supposed to reach for. It’s a gift. I am really looking forward to the final product. Enjoy your time in Idaho. Don’t forget us little people;)

• ‘Filmed on location in Kansas’

As a resident of Kansas City, can I uh, ask where that more specifically was?

-Bob

• Wow, that’s extremely specific, thanks!

• Steve Z says:

I am deeply moved by the power of your commitment to not only recognize the gap that existed between where you are and where you wanted to be but more so by the strength which you both show in pursuing this new path with vigor. Too many are trapped by what is that they don’t have to imagination and conviction to see a new way forward. I’m excited to see the results of this journey.

And if you need someone to help carry gear, change camera batteries, or clean lenses, shoot me an email.

Thanks for the shout, Steve. Sometimes the way forward is so obvious it seems impossible.
      And thanks for offering your services – I’ll add you to the list 🙂

• Lance says:

Whoa. loved it.

• Pam says:

Very exciting, and an inspiration too. I haven’t been there yet, but Idaho is on my list of musts, probably 2013. My new mantra…Live a deliberate life!

• […] Matt Smythe, the only Matt I’ve actually met and fished with in person, is giving up the fishing life with a group of friends to start a high-risk hedge fund that invests in paving, dam construction […]