BECAUSE

Posted by | February 02, 2011 | In the woods, On the water | 10 Comments

Cold is no excuse. There’s not an hour in the woods or on the water worth rolling over after the alarm and slinking up behind 4 a.m.’s ugly sister, maybe tomorrow.  No, no, no, we get up and get into our wool-and-Lycra-blend socks and long underwear – eyes swole, head still soupy – shuffle to the kitchen for coffee and lean on the counter, waiting for some toast to put peanut butter on.

It’s winter boss. Good and deep and cold, cold, cold. And in the end, the worth of the day, the measure of life, hard-fought and earned, is slowly revealed as blood returns to your fingers and toes and face on the drive home. Fish or no fish. Deer or no deer. Geese or no geese. We walk into the house, giant as Paul Bunyan, smelling like fresh air and refusing to admit just how crazy we might actually be.

• “4am’s ugly sister, Maybe tomorrow..” Love it,

Nice work man

• Mark says:

That’s excellent. Although it can be difficult not to rollover. Its always worth it once you get going though.

• Fishingpoet says:

Hey Mark. Definitely worth it. No matter how great it feels to sleep in, I always regret that small time I didn’t have in the woods or on the water anymore. There’s never enough time available anyhow. Thanks for the comment!

Admitting my craziness is half the fun. Then again, I’m a die-hard waterfowler and ice fisherman. Two sports known for craziness.

There is nothing like walking into my home after a day on the water/ice or a day in the field. The best is stomping into the office at 9:30 after a morning of walleye fishing or bird hunting. It let’s me claim back some of those moments otherwise spent pushing paper in a cubicle.

It’s funny how quickly I get up when the alarm goes off at 2:30 am to go duck hunting. And how slowly I get up when it goes off at 7:30 to go to work.

Great post. I totally relate.

• Fishingpoet says:

Hey Pete. My wife has the same comment about my ability to get up so readily to fish or hunt…wonders why I don’t get up early to have coffee with her before she leaves for work at 6 a.m. I have no answer…
      Thanks for the comment!

• I’m neither a hunter or fisher, so I don’t experience the hope of prey aspect of your sport, but I applaud the essentialness of which you speak. My lightweight version is rousting at 5:00 a.m. for 6:00 a.m. tennis followed by running the dogs through woods and along streams before the hours spent chained to my computer. Great post.

• Fishingpoet says:

Thanks Elizabeth.
      In a larger sense, we’re all hunting for something, I guess. Funny, you mentioned dogs, woods and streams…you’re not all that far off our side of the tracks 🙂

• Mark says:

It is funny how much easier it is to get up to do something you enjoy. What if we could wake with that type of enthusiasm for our jobs? Then we would be living right. Makes you really appreciate those outings that much more, however.